Monday, February 1, 2016

Unmasked: Part 15: Pot and Kettle


"Women!" Brunhild said with exasperation as she sank back to the floor.

"You are one too, you know," Rodrick said, grinning.

She took a drink from her tankard. "Not in the same way," she said, turning back to him. "I apologize for Kirsa's behavior. I will ensure that she regrets it."

Rodrick snorted. "I highly doubt she will regret anything, but I know you will exact a price for it just the same."

Brunhild took a bit of quail from a plate a buxom, black-haired wolf placed between them. "I have been too soft with her of late. It's time I took back control."

Rodrick rubbed his face with a sigh. "You never lost it. She is simply more comfortable here now. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing," he said, taking a bit of quail for himself.

"Uh huh, I see you both believe I couldn't see her making those faces behind me earlier." She lifted a brow.

"If you simply want to ravage her, you don't have to make excuses to me. I almost thrashed mine this morning for the fun of it."

Brunhild sobered instantly, renewed anger darkening her brow. "What do you plan to do with her?"

He shrugged. "I'm going to keep her."

"As a mate."

"Does it matter?"

She slapped the table. "She doesn't know, does she? What you've done. What you've made her without her consent. I saw the fucking mark, Rodrick."

Rodrick leaned forward, bracing his elbows on the table. "I know you saw it. You weren't terribly subtle in your noticing, but, as I expressed to her not two days ago, her consent was never necessary. And, frankly, neither is yours."

"This is not how we work!"

"This is exactly how we work. And of all people, you are least equipped to judge my actions in this."

Her eyebrows rose. "Excuse me?"

"I distinctly remember one of my Deltas kidnapped their mate from a neighboring pack, nearly plunging us into war. A woman, I might add, who wasn't particularly keen on being kidnapped at the time. Or is your memory so short?" He gave her a pointed look.

"She consented!" She crossed her arms over her chest.

"After you bit her. Weeks after. So, before you judge my methods of courtship, remember, at the very least, I didn't steal mine. She was given to me to do with as I please, which I fully intend to do. The wolf wants what it wants. We all act on the whims of the beast.  Even you. Especially you. Mine wanted to claim her, so I did. If it would appease you, look at it as a political union." He tore a piece of bread from a nearby loaf and took a bite.

Brunhild threw up her hands. "If you were always going to keep the girl, what is the damn council meeting for anyway?"

"The girl's fate was never in question. We will be discussing the mission and the Kin's proposal. My keeping the girl has no bearing on whether we accept the truce. However..."

"Yes?"

"I would, of course, appreciate it if you refrained from expressing your distaste about my decision regarding the girl at the meeting."

Brunhild sat up straighter, taking a slow sip of her mead. "As your sister, I reserve the right to give you shit about whatever I deem appropriate, but you know me better than to think I would question your authority in public." She sat the cup down. "Really, I should be one of your Betas. I'm a much better choice than Jurgen."

"If you want Jurgen's position, you are welcome to challenge him for it. If you win, I'll consider it."

"You say that like you're sure I'll lose."

"Jurgen might be a cocky bastard, but I know how he fights. Personality flaws aside, he is Beta for a reason." Rodrick glanced out the door where he could see Kirsa lounging on a wood pile, speaking excitedly to Constantina. The Kin clutched the bowl of fruit before her as if it was the only thing anchoring her to this world. Kirsa's whispers were low enough that he couldn't pick out the words, but whatever they were had Constantina blushing fiercely.

"What do you think she's telling her?" he said.

Brunhild turned to look.  "Based on what she put me through in the early days? Nothing good. On the upside? You should have sufficient motivation for a thrashing tonight. I know how much that disappoints you."

Rodrick expelled a frustrated breath. "I would like Kirsa to help acclimate her to our ways, but I'd prefer she not make my job more difficult."

Brunhild chuckled. "I will impress that upon her, but I think you know as well as I do that it will be much too late."


Wicked Wednesday... a place to be wickedly sexy or sexily wicked

4 comments:

  1. I already look forward to the next part! The last sentence of this part holds so much promise :)
    I also like that brother and sister are both strong souls!

    Rebel xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope to get back into a more productive state. I think I've finally found my inspiration again.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed this - the dialogue is especially good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I find the style of this series a bit different than my usual stuff, because I typically have a thing for vivid description and this one is more dialogue heavy. I think in the future, I might go back and flesh it out with more description.

      Delete